(For publication list see http://www.geo.uu.nl/hydrogeology/majid/publications.html)
Total no. of citations: Scopus >6000; Google Scholar ~9450; h-index Scopus: 40; h-index Google Scholar: 46
Post-doc researchers (with current affiliation):
14. Zhuang, Luwen, Numerical and experimental study of capillarity hysteresis in thin porous media, Utrecht University, starting March 2017.
13. Nikooee, Ehsan, (Assistant Professor, Shiraz University, Iran), Mechanics of unsaturated porous media: an integrated approach, July 2014- June 2017.
12. Qin, Chaozhong, (Resercher, TU Eindhoven) Engineering of bio-based substrates on buildings and infrastructure as a basis for natural protection, September 2012- October 2016.
11. Karadimitrou, Nikos (Research Associate, Manchester University, UK), Micro-model experimental studies of two-phase flow and colloid transport in porous media, September 2013 - October 2014.
10. Morales Casique, Eric (Assistant Professor, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico), Numerical Modelling of Flow and Transport in Industrial and Biological Porous Media, January 2009-December 2010.
9. Yadav, Brijesh (Associate Professor, Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee, India), Large-scale experiments on biodegradatin of LNAPL under variable groundwater stage, November 2008-May 2010.
8. Niessner, Jennifer (Professor, Heilbronn University, Germany), Extended theories of two-phase flow in porous media, May 2007-April 2008.
7. Berentsen, Cas (Engineer, Fenix Consulting Delft), Upscaling two-phase flow in heterogeneous porous media, February 2004-March 2006.
6. Schuttelaars, Henk (Assistant Professor, Delft University of Technology), Characterization of heterogeneities in porous media, September 2004-December 2005.
5. Das, Diganta (Senior Lecturer, Loughborough University, UK), Upscaling two-phase flow in heterogeneous porous media, October 2001-April 2003.
4. Held, Ruud (Researcher, Wintershall Co., Germany), Pore-scale network modeling of two-phase flow in porous media, April-June 2000.
3. Reggiani, Paolo (Professor, University of Siegen, Germany), REW modeling of watersheds, October 1999-April 2000.
2. Ataie-Ashtiani, Behzad (Professor, Civil Engineering Department, Sharif University of Technology, Tehran, Iran), Two-phase flow in porous media, November 1998-May 2000.
1. Beliaev, Alexei (Researcher, Water Problems Institute, Moscow, Russia), Modelling hysteresis in two-phase flow in porous media, July 1998-April 1999.
28. Schout, Gillian, Shale gas production and vulnerability of groundwater resources (tentative), Utrecht University, expected July 2019 (Co-advisors: Prof. J. Griffioen and Dr. N. Hartog).
27. Aslannejad, Hamed, Mechanisms of liquid transport in papers with coating (tentative), Utrecht University, started October 2014.
26. Tavangarrad, Amir Hossein, Simulation of fluid flow through thin porous layers and their interfaces (tentative), Utrecht University, started October 2014.
25. Zarikos, Ioannis, Flow of bubbles and liquids blobs during multiphase flow in porous media, Utrecht University, started September 2014.
24. Bartels, Willem-Bart, Oil mobilization in porous media by low salinity water flooding, Utrecht University, started March 2014 (Co-advisors: Dr. H. Mahani (Shell) and Dr. S. Berg (Shell)).
23. Yin, Xiaoguang, Simulation of micro-model experiments of flow and transport in porous media (tentative), Utrecht University, started September 2013, (Co-advisor: Dr. A. Raoof).
22. Sweijen, Thomas, Pore-scale and grain-scale modeling of flow and transport in swelling porous media, Utrecht University, started September 2013.
21. Zhuang, Luwen, Flow and transport in unsaturated porous media, Utrecht University, February 2017.
20. Narayan, Seetha, Multiscale Modelling of Colloid Transport in Porous Media: Pore-scale to Darcy-scale, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, December 2015 (main advisor: Prof. Mohan Kumar)
19. Ghareh Mahmoodlu, Mojtaba, Laboratory study of remediation of LNAPL, DNAPL, and gasohol, Utrecht University, expected September 2014 (Co-advisor: Dr. N. Hartog).
18. Zhang, Qiulan, Colloid transport, retention, and remobilization during two-phase flow; Micro-model investigation and modeling, Utrecht University, November 2013.
17. Karadimitrou, Nikos, Two-phase flow experimental studies in micro-models, Utrecht University, May 2013.
16. Qin, ChaoZhong, Numerical investigations on two-phase flow in polymer electrolyte fuel cells, Utrecht University, (Co-advisor: Dr. Dirk Rensink of OPEL Science Lab Hydrogen Storage), June 2012.
15. Sadeghi, Gholam Reza, Effect of geochemical conditions on transport properties of viruses in groundwater, Utrecht University, August 2012 (Co-advisors: Dr. J.F. Schijven and Dr. Thilo Behrends)
14. Raoof, Amir, Reactive/Adsorptive Transport in (Partially-)Saturated Porous Media; from pore scale to core scale, Utrecht University, September 2011.
13. Joekar-Niasar, Vahid, The Immiscibles; Capillary effects in porous media; pore-network modeling, Utrecht University, March 2010 (Cum Laude).
12. Bottero, Simona, Advances in theories of capillarity in porous media, Utrecht University, November 2009.
11. Langevoort, Marian, Multiphase flow and enhanced biodegradation of dense non-aqueous phase liquids, Utrecht University, March 2009.
10. Torkzaban, Saeed, Modelling virus transport in unsaturated porous media, Utrecht University, October 2007 (co-advisor: Dr. J. F. Schijven)
9. de Zwart, Bert-Rik, Clogging mechanisms near water wells, Delft University of Technology, April 2007 (main advisor: R.J. Schotting)
8. Gielen, Twan W.J., Upscaling Multiphase Transport Processes in Porous Media, Delft University of Technology, March 2007.
7. Ham, Phil, Mixing Processes in Natural and Enhanced Attenuation, Utrecht University, May 2006 (main advisor: R.J. Schotting)
6. Manthey, Sabine, Upscaling two-phase flow processes in heterogeneous porous media, Stuttgart University, February 2006 (main advisor: R. Helmig)
5. Bader, Sam, Chemically and electrically coupled transport in clayey soils and sediments, Delft University of Technology, October 2005 (main advisor: R.J. Schotting)
4. Landman, Anke-Jannie, Density effects in heat and mass transfer in porous media, Delft University of Technology, June 2005 (main advisor: R.J. Schotting)
3. Gallo, Claudio, coupled biodegradation and Two-Phase Flow, A Numerical Study of Interactions and Field Applications, Delft University of Technology, 2003
2. Schijven, Jack F., Virus Removal from Groundwater by Soil Passage, Modeling, Field and Laboratory Experiments, Delft University of Technology, 2001 (Cum Laude).
1. Reggiani, Paolo, A unifying framework for watershed thermodynamics, The University of Western Australia, 1999 (main advisor: M. Sivapalan)
Modelling and monitoring heat transport in a High Temperature ATES system,
February 2018 (Main advisors: Martin
Bloemendal and Niels Hartog, KWR Water Cycle
Upscaling stimulated biodegradation of mobile tar components from batch and
column experiments to a push-pull test in the
Pape, Jan Jaap,
Performance and optimization of high temperature geothermal energy storage
with a triple well system, August 2017 (Main
advisors: Martin Bloemendal and Niels Hartog, KWR Water Cycle
Modelling of mobile tar components in groundwater: flow conditions in soil
columns, in field experiments, and along natural flow paths, February 2017
(Main supervisors: Johan van
van der Hoeven, Jesse,
Low Salinity Waterflooding (LSF) in Sandstones at Pore Scale: Micromodel
Development and Investigation, March 2013, (Main
advisors: Hassan Mahani and Willem-Bart Bartels;
de Hilster, Stèphanie, Temperature dynamics due to groundwater seepage in tributaries ofthe Dinkel river, June-December 2016, (Main supervisor: Vince Kaandorp, Deltares).
Goddard, Marie, Movement of groundwater and dissolved salt through a sand dam (research carried out in Canada), Expected August 2016, (Main advisor: Prof. Carl Mendoza, University of Alberta, Canada).
van Wijnen, Marvin, 3D large-scale groundwater solute transport modeling, October 2015 – April 2016, (Main supervisor: Gijs Janssen, Deltares).
Coupled free-flow and porous media flow: a numerical and experimental
investigation (research carried out in collaboration with Stuttgart
University), September 2015 till April 2016,
Model-based assessment of the feasibility of in situ leaching in
hydraulically fractured rock aquifers, March 2015, (Main
advisors: Martin Bloemendal and Niels Hartog, KWR Water Cycle
van Oosterhout, Lucas, Testing the Continuum Model for Thin-Porous Media using Pore-Network Modelling, May 2015, (co-supervisor QIN Chaozhong).
Houwers, Margot, Model-based assessment of the feasibility of in situ leaching in hydraulically fractured rock aquifers, March 2015, (Co-advisor: Niels Hartog, KWR Water Cycle Research Inst.).
Scholten, Maurick, Spreading of resuspended old contaminated sediments, "Altlasten", in the Rhine and Meuse during extreme high discharges, June 2013, (Main supervisor: Jos Vink, Deltares).
Gkekas, Stefanos, Mobilisation of residual phase NAPL under limited warming conditions, July 2013, (Supervisor J. van Leeuwen, SBNS).
Sweijen, Thomas, The behavior of elemental mercury in porous media, June 2013, (Co-advisors: Niels Hartog and Annemieke Marsman, Deltares).
Bartels, Willem-Bart, Experimental study of enhanced oil recovery based on Low Salinity Flooding (LSF), March 2013, (Supervisors Dr. H. Mahani and Dr. S. Berg; Shell, Rijswijk).
Beerens, Pauline, The fate of phosphate in the flower bulb area ("Bollengebied") of the Netherlands, June 2013, (Main supervisor: Stefan Jansen, Deltares).
van der Waals, Marcelle, Stripping volatile organic compounds (VOCs) from groundwater with carbon dioxide (CO2) generated during biogrouting, June 2013, (Co-advisor: Niels Hartog, Deltares).
van Lopik, Jan, Feasibility of EcoGrout: Modeling of in situ calcium carbonate precipitation, June 2013, (Co-advisors: Niels Hartog and Annemieke Marsman, Deltares).
Waade, Andrea, Laboratory and field study of virus transport in groundwater, July 2013, (co-advisors: Gholamreza Sadeghi and Jack Schijven, RIVM).
Fritz, Susanne, Experimental study of water infiltration into dry soil; dynamic capillarity effects (research carried out in Utrecht), June 2012, (co-advisor Professor R. Helmig, Stuttgart University).
Hoogland, Frouke, Experimental study of evaporation from soil (research carried out in Zurich), June 2012 (co-advisors: Prof. Dani Or and Dr. Peter Lehmann, ETH Zurich)
van den Bosch, Stan,
Pore-network modeling of disconnected phases in porous media (research
carried out in Princeton), August 2012 (co-advisors: Dr. Florian Doster, Dr.
The fate and transport of nutrients in shallow groundwater and soil of an
urban slum area in the city of Kampala, Uganda (research carried out in
Uganda), June 2012 (co-advisors:
van der Zon, Pieter,
Modeling natural attenuation of ethanol, BTEX and PAHs in groundwater
contaminated with gasohol (research carried out in Santa Catarina, Brasil),
August 2012 (co-advisors:
Brugman, Roel, Dimensional Analyses of Convection Enhanced Drug Delivery To Brain Tissues (research carried out in Stuttgart), July 2011, (co-advisor Professor R. Helmig, Stuttgart University).
Multicomponent Transport of Contaminants Released into the Environment
following the Application of Phosphogypsum, August 2011 (co-advisors: Prof.
Rien van Genuchten and
Shrestha, Shristi R., Laboratory study of biodegradation of LNAPL in variably-saturated soil. December 2010 (co-advisor: Brijesh Yadav, Utrecht University)
Mos, Yvonne, Batch experiments on biodegradation of LNAPL in soil at different water contents August 2010 (co-advisor: Brijesh Yadav, Utrecht University)
Rensen, Rob, Using peat as adsorption barrier in remediating groundwater, November 2010 (co-advisors: Tobias Praamstra and Thomas Keijzer, Tauw bv)
Sterk, Ankie, Removal of viruses from groundwater in river bank filtration systems, October 2010 (co-advisor: Jack Schijven, RIVM)
Li Pei, Pore-Network Modeling of Flow in Deformable Porous Media, August 2009 (co-advisor: Vahid Joekar-Niasar, Utrecht University)
Mohan, Diepak, Study of diesel oil pollution in soil and groundwater, August 2009 (co-advisors: Charles Pijls and Boudewijn Fokke, Tauw bv)
Stoeverud, Karen, Modelling Convection-Enhanced Drug Delivery (CED) to brain tumors (research carried out in Stuttgart), October 2009, (co-advisor Professor R. Helmig, Stuttgart University).
Roels, Saskia, Study of virus transport in river bank filtration, October 2009 (co-advisors: Dr. Jack Schijven)
Shojaei-Tazehkand Shiva, The
influence of groundwater chemical composition on virus attachment in soil
(research carried out in Riverside), Utrecht
University, 2008 (co-advisor Dr. Sharon Walker,
Snacken, Barbara, Well clogging; mechanical processes (research carried out in Golden, Colorado), Utrecht University, 2007 (co-advisor Prof. Tissa Illangasekare, Colorado School of Mines).
De Vries, Manuel, Application of a multiple-point geo-statistical method to an inverse hydrogeological problem (research carried out in Barcelona), Utrecht University, December 2007 (main advisor Professor J. Carrera, UPC, Barcelona).
Korteland, Suze-Anne, The dynamic capillary pressure effect in two phase flow in porous media (research carried out in Stuttgart), Utrecht University, September 2007 (co-advisors Simona Bottero, Utrecht, and Professor R. Helmig, Stuttgart University).
Verbeek, Bas, Optimization of a Pump & Treat Remediation of MTBE at Shell Pernis, Utrecht University, April 2006 (co-advisor Dr. A. Marsman, TNO).
Verschoor, Tessa, The
quality of a steam remediation of a Creosote contaminated soil, Utrecht University, November 2006 (co-advisors Hans
Bruining, TU Delft; Richard Romer, TAUW; and Marcus Zutphen,
Mogollon-Lee, Jose M., Laboratory studies and modeling of biodegradation of residual DNAPL, Utrecht University, December 2005.
Hemdani, Layla, Determination of protection zones for Dutch groundwater wells according to vulnerability to virus contamination, Utrecht University, December 2005 (co-advisor Dr. Jack Schijven, RIVM).
Eeman, Sara, Witnessing Wetness, spatial and temporal variation of soil water content in the Savutalele Catchment, Fiji (research carried out in Fiji), Delft University of Technology, April 2004 (co-advisor).
Assen, Cindy, Macroscopic modeling of spreading and natural attenuation of aromatic compounds in till, Delft University of Technology, 2000 (main advisor: Hans Bruining).
Dijkstra, T., Dynamic Pore-scale Network Modeling, Delft university of Technology, 1997 (main advisors: Alies Bartelds and Hans Bruining)
Kroeze, Karin, Numerical simulation of fluid convection in heterogeneous porous with constant or time-dependent porosity, Utrecht University, 1993.
Bartelds, Alies, Simulation of the effects of long-term climatic change on groundwater flow, Utrecht University, 1993.
Weert, F.H.A. van, Mathematical modeling of the Weisses Moor pumping test to obtain information on the hydraulic properties of the Gorleben hydrogeological system, Utrecht University, 1992.
Giessen, G.M. van der, Brine migration in rock salt, Utrecht University, 1992.
Mollema, P.N., Simulation of brine migration in salt rock, INTRAVAL Test Case WIPP; Utrecht University, 1991.
Holtman, H., Modeling brine migration in salt rock, Utrecht University, 1991.
Berg, M.M.E. van den, Hydrothermal mass transport in a porous medium, a quantitative analysis in a time dependent model, Utrecht University, 1991.
Blessing, G.H.J.M., Simulation of regional groundwater flow underneath a glacier, sensitivity analysis of a simplified model, 1991.
Membership of PhD committees:
Pouran, Behdad; Multi-scale physico-chemical phenomena in articular cartilage and subchondral bone, Faculty of Medicine, Utrecht University, 23 November 2017.
Sterk, Ankie, The effects of climate change on the risk of infection by water-transmitted pathogens, Faculty of Sciences, Utrecht University, November 2016.
Palmier, Cedric, Oil Mobility Estimation and Recovery Optimization., Arts et Metiers Paris Tech, Bordeaux, France, November 2016
Hoogland, Frouke, Characteristics of drainage processes behind fluid displacement fronts", ETH Zurich, November 2016.
Laabidi, Ezzeddine, Reactive transport modeling in saturated porous media: Effect of calcite dissolution and precipitation reactions on the flow and transport, Université de Tunis El Manar, October 2016.
Wolterbeek, Timotheus K.T., Impact of chemical and mechanical processes on wellbore integrity in CO2 storage systems, Utrecht University, September 2016.
Chao Yuan, Pore-scale modeling and hydromechanics of partially saturated granular materials, University of Grenoble, July 2016.
Baars, Roel, Random porous media and magnetic separation of magnetic colloids, Faculty of Sciences, Utrecht University, January 2016.
Pauw, Pieter, Field and model investigation of freshwater lenses in coastal aquifers, Wageningen University, June 2015.
Ziabakhsh-Ganji, Zaman, Physical and geochemical impacts of impure CO2 on storage in depleted hydrocarbon reservoirs and saline aquifers, Free University of Amsterdam, April 2015.
Talebian, Mojtaba, Computational modeling of hydro-electro-mechanical flow during CO2 geosequestration, Delft University of Technology, March 2015.
Nuske, Philip, Coupling free and porous-medium flow: Modeling local thermal and chemical non-equilibrium in multiphase flow in porous media, Stuttgart University, Germany, 6 October 2014.
Rodriguez de Castro, Antonio, Determination of pore size distribution from flow experiments of yield stress fluids through porous media., Arts et Metiers Paris Tech, Bordeaux, France, 17 July 2014.
Baber, Katherina, Coupling free and porous-medium flow: Approaches for transvascular exchange and drop dynamics in PEM fuel cells, Stuttgart University, Germany, 15 July 2014.
Kurzeja, Patrick, Modelling wave propagation in partially saturated porous media, Ruhr-University Bochum, Germany, December 2013.
Nikooee, Ehsan, A thermodynamic approach to the determination of the effective stress parameter in unsaturated soils considering net stress effects, Shiraz University, Iran, December 2012.
Fan, Yabin, Dynamic capillarity in porous media; Mathematical analysis, Eindhoven University of Technology, January 2012.
van Beek, Kees, Cause and prevention of clogging of wells abstracting groundwater from unconsolidated aquifers, de Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, December 2010
Shahraeeni, Ebrahim, "Surface and pore-scale thermoevaporative fluxes from porous media", ETH Zurich, December 2010.
Fritz, Jochen, Multiphysics modeling of non-isothermal multiphase compositional flow processes, Stuttgart University, June 2010.
van Paassen, Leon, BioGrout: Ground improvement by microbially induced carbonate precipitation, Delft University of Technology, October 2009.
Gutierrez, Marian, Aspects of transverse dispersion in porous media, Faculty of Geosciences, Utrecht University, June 2009.
Visser, Ate, Trends in groundwater quality in relation to groundwater age, Faculty of Geosciences, Utrecht University, May 2009.
Heinen, Wim, Elimination of micro-organisms in water treatment, Faculty of Geosciences, Utrecht University, January 2009.
Mirzaei, Mahsanam, Dynamic Effects on Two-Phase Flow in Porous Media, Hertford College, Department of Engineering Science, Oxford University, UK, July 2008.
van Noort, Reinier, Structure and properties of fluid-filled grain boundaries under stress in geological materials, Faculty of Geosciences, Utrecht University, June 2008.
Talebi, Ali, The relation between geometry, hydrology and stability of complex hillslopes examined using low-dimensional hydrological models, Wageningen University, January 2008.
Willem-Jan, Measurements of capillary pressure and electric permittivity of
gas-water systems in porous media at elevated pressures; Application to
geological storage of CO2 in aquifers and wetting
Foppen, Jan-Willem, Geochemical effects on virus transport in soil and groundwater, UNESCO-IHE and Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, June 2007.
Guoping Zhang, Modelling Hydrological Responses at the Catchment Scale: Development and Applications of the Representative Elementary Watershed Approach, Delft University of Technology, May 2007.
Ali, Mohammad A. J., The effect of residual oil of formation damage and deep filtration, Delft University of Technology, April 2007.
Malakpoor, Kamyar, Mixed Finite Element for Swelling of Cartilaginous Tissues, Eindhoven University of Technology, February 2007.
Hilberts, Arno, Low-dimensional modeling of hillslope sub-surface flow processes; Developing and testing the hillslope-storage Boussinesq model, Wageningen University, October 2006.
Alberts, Luc, Initial porosity of random packings, Delft University of Technology, October 2005.
Heister, Katja, Coupled transport in clayey materials with emphasis on induced electrokinetic phenomena, Faculty of Geosciences, Utrecht University, June 2005.
Achharya, Ram C., Upscaling of nonlinear reactive transport: from pore to core, Wageningen University, December 2004.
Pieters, Gert-Jan, Stability and Evolution of Gravity-Driven Flow in Porous Media, Applied to Hydrological and Ecological Problems, Eindhoven University of Technology, November 2004.
Vrucht, Jasper, Development of advanced optimization methodologies to diagnose and quantify model structural errors, University of Amsterdam, June 2004.
Berentsen, Cas, Upscaling of flow in porous media from a tracer perspective, Delft University of Technology, 2003
Meijers, S.J.H., Computational Modelling of Chloride Ingress in Concrete, Delft University of Technology, 2003
Ferronato, M., Rock Expansion and Compaction at the Marker Scale in Gas Producing Reservoirs, Delft University of Technology, 2003
Nordhaug, Hans Frederik, Modeling of Multi Phase Flow in Porous Media: Operator Splitting, Front Tracking, Interfacial Area and Network Models, University of Bergen, Norway, 2002
Marsman, Annemieke, The influence of water percolation on flow of light non aqueous phase liquids in soil, Wageningen University of Life Sciences, 2002.
Verlaan, Marco, Dispersion in Heterogeneous Media, Fundamental issues inspired by underground gas storage, Delft University of Technology, 2001.
Keijzer, Henriette, Transport of nonlinearly biodegradable contaminants in aquifers, Numerical, Analytical, Stochastic, Wageningen University of Life Sciences, 2001.
Held, Rudolf Josef, Pore-scale modeling of extended two-phase flow and mass transfer in porous media, Princeton University, 2000.
Schotting, Ruud J., Mathematical Aspects of Salt Transport in Porous Media, Delft University of Technology, 1998.
Anderson, Stephanie Jane, An experimental investigation of high concentration displacements in saturated porous media, The University of Western Australia, 1997.
van Dijke, Rink, Multi-phase modeling of soil contamination and soil remediation, Wageningen University, 1997.
Membership of International Committees:
in Water Resources; AIChE Journal ; Environmental
Science and Technology, European Journal of Mechanics; Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta;
Geologie en Mijnbouw; Geoderma;
Sciences of the Czech Republic, Netherlands Organization for Scientific
Research (NWO); NATO
Scientific and Environmental Affairs Division; Gordon
Meeting the Media:
Invited Lectures in International Meetings
University of Limerick, Ireland (Keynote speaker).
Ecole des Ponts, Paris, 12-14 September 2016. (Keynote speaker).
Conference on Geosciences, Leipzig, Germany, June 15-18, 2009 (invited speaker).
Contamination and Cleanup in Arid Countries, Muscat, Oman, 20-24 January 2003 (invited speaker).