The fluvial group
The core of the Delta evolution program consists of a group of staff members of the Department of Physical geography at the Faculty of Geosciences, Utrecht University. The organizational structure is loose and informal, and not bound by university structures. The group calls themselves the 'Grupo Fluvial' or Fluvial research group. The Delta evolution program was initiated by Dr. H.J.A. Berendsen. The present coordinator is Dr. H. Middelkoop.
The fluvial group concentrates on three research themes:
- Delta evolution: evolution of alluvial plains and river deltas;
- River basin dynamics: sensitivity of river basins to global change;
- River morphodynamics: process studies of morphodynamics of alluvial rivers.
Fluvial Group Staff
- Fluvial Group members.
- Dr. H.J.A. Berendsen Specialism: Physical geography of the Netherlands, Quaternary geology.
- Dr. J.H. van den Berg Specialism: Fluvial and coastal processes, sedimentology, bedforms, fluid dynamics.
- Dr. K.M. Cohen Specialism: GIS, Quaternary geology, palaeogeography, fluvial and coastal processes.
- Dr. W.Z. Hoek Specialism: Vegetation development, Quaternary geology, tephra-chronology.
- Prof. Dr. E.A. Koster Specialism: Eolian and periglacial geomorphology, Quaternary geology.
- Dr. M. Kleinhans Specialism: Fluvial and coastal (actuo-)processes.
- Dr. H. Middelkoop Specialism: Climate change.
- Dr. D. Karssenberg Specialism: Environmental modelling.
- Dr. E. Stouthamer Specialism: Avulsions, fluvial sedimentology, physical geography of the Netherlands.
Fluvial Group Postdocs and Ph.D. students
- Drs. I. Bos (Characterization of alluvial architecture and comparison of facies distribution of Holocene and Early Pleistocene fine-grained fluvial deposits in the Netherlands)
- Drs. G. Erkens (The influence of climate changes and humans on Late Holocene sediment budgets)
- Drs. R. Frings (river processes)
- Drs. M. Gouw (Quantification of alluvial architecture parameters of the Rhine-Meuse, and Mississippi River deltas)
- Drs. M. Hijma (From lowstand to highstand delta - development and architecture of the Late Pleistocene and Holocene coastal area of the Rhine-Meuse delta in the Netherlands)
- Dr. G. Hoffmann (coastal and river evolution during the Holocene)
- Drs. M. Straatsma (Laser altimetry and vegetation roughness of the embanked floodplains)
- Drs. S. van Asselen (The influence of peat compaction on river channel diversions and alluvial architecture).
The research group participates in
- ICG-research school (Netherlands Center for Geo-ecological research)
- NCR (Netherlands Center for River Studies)
- NCL (Netherlands Center for Luminescence dating)
Contact informationDr. H.J.A. Berendsen or Dr. E. Stouthamer
Visiting address: Faculty of Geosciences, Department of Physical Geography
Heidelberglaan 2 (Zonneveldvleugel)
3508 TC Utrecht, The Netherlands
phone: +31 (0)30 253 1369 or +31 (0)30 253 5772
e-mail: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Personal homepage Dr. H.J.A. Berendsen.